Sunday, September 23, 2012

Halloween Picture Book Linky

Happy Fall Y'all !!!  I can't tell you how excited I am that fall is actually here.  And (knock on wood!) it actually FEELS like it here in GA.  I am just hoping it stays that way, because fall is my most favorite season. 

The leaves . . . the smells . . . the pumpkins . . . the breeze . . . the football.  . . . the festivals & fairs . . . OH, and the books! :)

Today, I am linking up with Chrissy at First Grade Found Me for her Halloween Picture Book Linky Party.

 I have chosen my top five because, seriously, I could be here all day. Holiday books tend to be my favorite & the kids love them, too.

#1 The Halloweiner
 
 The cutest & funniest little story about a weiner dog whose mom always dresses him up like a hot dog every Halloween. The other animals laugh and make fun of him all the time, but in the end, he reigns as the hero!  A great story about how to treat others and being a good friend.

2.  Room on the Broom
This book is ALWAYS a classroom favorite.  I swear, every year, this is the book the kids yell "Read it again! Read it again!". And, of course, I do!  It's the most cleverly written rhyming book and it's a building story, too.  If you don't have this one, you really need to find it this year.  So cute!

3.  Shake Dem Halloween Bones
Another favorite of my kiddies because they love to sing/rhyme along with it.  They end up dancing around the room singing "Shake . . Shake. . . Shake dem Halloween Bones!".  I got the CD from Scholastic, too, so that just adds to the fun!

4.  The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
 A classic & perfect for sequencing.  I do a felt board/magnet board activity where the kids have to sequence the story, and we also do a Reader's Theater with it.  It's fairly simple text, so it makes for a good Reader's Theater this early in the year. Plus, the kids just love all the motions and sounds they get to make!

5. Lastly, The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin
 This one is just GREAT for October in general.  A great book about how being different is an awesome thing & how we can celebrate our differences.    I love to use this one to compare and contrast Spookley and Halloweiner! :)

   Also, a cute activity I do with this book is to have the kids make a Spookley out of their milk cartons.  We just cover all the sides with orange paper, squish down the top, and stick a green construction paper leaf to the top.  Then, they write on all four sides the four narrative elements - character(s), setting, problem, and solution. They love it :)

 Head on over to First Grade Found Me & have a great week!!!!!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful books and ideas! I have never heard of Shake Dem Halloween Bones but I have to check it out. It seems like so much fun!

    Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love TheLittle Old Lady,but I've never heard of the others. I'll have to go check them out!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shake Dem Halloween Bones and Room on the Broom look SO cute! Thanks for the recommendations!! This linky party is getting dangerous for my wallet...

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the book ideas. I think I am going to have to check out Room on the Broom and ShakeDem Halloween Bones. Oh... and I love your signature with the princess:)

    Kelly
    Kelly Teach

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to find ShakeDem Halloween Bones. I've never heard of that one or Room on the Broom. Great choices!!

    mrsthigpenskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Halloweiner is my favorite too!!!

    who-is-on-first.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing! There seems to be some realy cute books that I need to check out!
    Crazy About First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fall, too! Great book choices ... I have and love them all!

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kelly,
    I am your newst follower!!! YAY...thanks for checking out my blog. You are almost up to 200 followers...WAY TO GO.

    I love this linky-kinda hard to pick though!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these books! I love these kinds of linkies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your selection of Halloween books. I am going to have to look for Room on the Broom. It looks really cute! Your blog design is really sweet. Christi designed mine as well. Stop by and see it sometime. I am a new follower!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing! We have some similiar favorites :) I am your newest follower...

    Holly

    Learning Adventures with Mrs. Gerlach

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's a CD for Shake dem Bones?! lol That would be SO much better than my version, I'm sure!!! ;) Great shares. And your blog is adorable!!

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)