Saturday, September 8, 2012

Guided Math - I'm Loving It !

Happy Weekend!!!
I'm ready to not be so tired & so happy that the weekend is here. I had plans to go out of town, but decided to just stick around the house, clean, watch football, and actually get caught up on all the school stuff I have yet to do . . . data notebook update . . . RTI charts . . . professional goals and such . . . and some organizing.  I think if I can get this done, I will feel better about life, and less like I'm drowning.  Please tell me I'm not the only one ! Oh yeah, and sleep . . . I slept til 10 today!! What?!
You know how much I love little cartoons & sayings. I saw this on Facebook & thought "ahhh . . . yes, so true!"

Anyway, after my post last week about how I do centers (you can see the original HERE), I've had several questions about how I do the same thing in math.  For my Guided Reading, I'm trying to integrate the Daily 5 concepts into my centers and so far, so good.  I know I am not following it exactly, but I'm learning little bit by little bit.

As for math, I follow the Guided Math model. It's an adaptation from the book Guided Math: A Framework for Mathematics Instruction by Lacey Sammons.  You can click on the book to check it out at Amazon.
Anyway, a couple years ago, a fellow colleague & I had to present at a faculty meeting about Guided Math.  It was a big success (not because of me or the presentation but because of the content of this book!) and even upper grade teachers implemented this into their classrooms. The pictures I have on here are from the PowerPoint so some of them are from my classroom, and others were images we were given.

The questions i"ve been asked have been what kind of centers I have in rotation. Mine are based on the five tenets suggested in the book: numeracy, problem solving, manipulative practice, data analysis & technology. If you read my first post, I have five centers (frogs) so in math, I have five centers, too!
 They are:

Orange - Computer/ Technology Games, Odyssey, etc...
This is pretty self explanatory :)
Blue - Problem Solving
The charts you see are differentiated based on group. Each group has a color in my room (green, red, yellow and blue) so I write four problems in each color that is leveled to that group. When children go to the center, they have to flip the chart to their colored problems, copy & solve. 

I laminate them & use each year so that helps with having to re-create stuff.  Also, the little ones can just draw the answer and write the problem and not copy if time doesn't allow it.  My school uses those books for problems, and I come up with ones that match our skill at the time.

Green - Numeracy/Number Sense
When we reviewed our data in first grade, we found that so many kids were lacking number sense. Plus, the book tells us that this is the VITAL FOUNDATION for children learning, understanding & loving math.  
The picture in the top left is the adapted Frayer Model I use for this math center.  There is a number of the day put in the center on a sticky note. Children have a copy of this model and have to complete it showing different ways to show/represent the number. 

To differentiate, I use four colored sticky notes (for my four leveled groups) so they know which number to use.

The picture on the right is from my friend's classroom & part of her calendar board. She uses this to model the center activity.

Yellow - Manipulative/Hands-on Practice

In this center, it's exactly what you think!  Kids use manipulatives or do hands-on activities related to the skill we are studying.  The picture in the bottom right is an activity we did just this week with our apple unit. :)

Pink - Data Analysis
These are just some pictures that were in our PowerPoint, but in my room, I do a Graph of the Week. On Mondays, the kids come in and put their name on our graph.  For instance, "My Favorite Lunch Food" had pizza, chicken nuggets, salad, and grilled cheese. The kids come in first thing Monday morning & take their name card to put on the pocket chart to show their choice.  During the week, when the kids go to the centers they complete a sheet asking "how many, which one had the most, which one had the fewest , and how many more than?" questions, plus they have to make their own graph to represent it.


So . . . those are the centers. Also, instead of Spelling STOP, my kids go to calendar stop.
The calendar on the left is from my room a couple years ago.  The kids use their Calendar Math Journals to fill out parts from the board. I have since really updated this & will share in a later post, but the kids love having their own folders. These pics are from the beginning of the year, so they're much simpler than what it turns into.

 

Lastly.  . . 
I've had some questions about my center check list. Warning: this is not the cutest thing I've ever come up with, but it works.  Here's mine:

Don't know why it's so fuzzy (or why it's cut off on the side), but you get the idea. The kids keep this checklist in their center folders and check off wherever they go for the day. The frogs are blank so they can color in whichever center they went to. So, if they go to Problem Solving on Monday, they will color it blue :)  The one for Guided Reading is the same, just with different words for me and STOP. Their folders look like this:
One side for Math & one side for Reading.  I posted about these a while back & got the idea from Ms. M's blog @  http://msk1ell.blogspot.com/2011/08/4-pocket-folders-revisited.html . You can see that post HERE.


So, that's it. I hope this helps those of you with questions & anyone who's trying to implement math workshop!

OH! I forgot - some people are having trouble with the time because I mentioned I do my Guided Reading for 1.5 hours.  A friend of mine puts centers out and leaves them for TWO weeks (yay for that!) and only does two rotations a day which fits into 10 days instead of five. Just a tip.

And in the interest of my love of funnies, I'll leave you with these (hee hee).

 Have a FABULOUS weekend !! :)

Happily,





 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! You rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Kelly. I'm going to started guided math in the next week or so. I'll be sure to pop back here for more ideas.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided this year guided math was the way t ogo. It works in reading, why not math?! I've not been very successful so far, but this book looks promising. I totally just ordered it on Amazon....

    Thanks for sharing :)
    Carrie
    The First Grade Derby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I am in the middle of reading that book and trying to figure out how to make guided math work for my classroom!! I wish I could see it "in action" in another class!! haha All your pictures are very helpful though! One question I was wondering though, with the manipulative station, do you give your kiddos some problems to solve using the manipulatives? Or have them create their own problems? I'm trying to figure out how to do that in my 4th grade!

    Thanks!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was SO helpful! You have no idea. Thank you. I am off to ponder starting up Guided Math once more. :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac: Pencil Sharpener Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So these are the main concerning objects which will guide students to better provisions of ideas which they must needed to acquire at once. mba candidate resume

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)