Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Made It

Well,  I made it through the 1st week of school, and I'm still so worn out !! In the past,we have started on a Thursday, which was great. The kids had two days to get used to routines a little, then they had a weekend to rest and recoup and then on to a full week. Did I say kids? I meant teachers!! This year, we started with one full week & it was a killer ! Add to the already stressful time of "back to school",  we were asked to give our first graders tests on Wednesday. Thursday, & Friday.   And, when I say tests, I mean TESTS. The math one had 77 questions, the ELA had 50 & the Reading 40. My little ones were in tears!  It's supposed to provide us with baseline data for the year, but I keep thinking "there has to be a better way!!".   Please share with me how your district or school does it!


Anyway, now that that is over, we started this week off fresh & new & ready to learn !  I have the sweetest little group & am so thankful !  Since I was already planning on linking up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made-It, I thought I'd share something THEY made, first.  We read Chrysanthemum (which I adore) and the kids made flower pots with chrysanthemums identifying the beginning, middle & end of the story. I thought they did great for their first 1st grade assignment (that wasn't a test ~ errghhh!).


I thought they turned out so cute !!  The chrysanthemum template is from abcteach.com & I just made circles and the pot for them to make the whole thing :)

For MY Monday Made-It, I attempted the ever-popular banner.  Ok, so mine doesn't look as good as so many as I have seen AND I ran out of cute ribbon so I had to improvise. Hey, I'm from the South and duck tape (even CUTE duck tape) is a well-known go-to! I went ahead and put it up so I could have a header & take a picture, but I plan on fixing it ASAP. :)


And the wall looks really bare there out in the hallway, so I think I'm going to put some paper & border up to make it look cuter. Any suggestions???

Here's my kiddies work & mine together
Lastly, I made these to put above my calendar board to liven it up a little

April & May still need some ribbon, but fortunately, I have time :)

Okay, so that's about it for me. THANK YOU to everyone who has entered my giveaway for a $25 TPT gift certificate. I can't wait to announce the winner on Thursday ! If you haven't already done it, go back to my previous post & enter!!  It is HERE :)

Have a great week !

Happily,

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely love your calendar headings! How did you do that!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Chrysanthemum flower pots. I'm reading that book aloud today and I want to add that activity ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your your banner! Turned out really cute! I found your blog through the Monday Made It party and am now your newest follower! Check out my blog when you get the chance! :)

    Jackie
    Crazy Daze in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flower pots are beautiful Kelly! I'm happy for you that this week is a fresher start. Your poor kids, I can't believe that they would make you test them so early. We don't have that at my school. This first formal kind of assessment for me will be early October and it's just a behavior checklist home to parents thing.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your flowerpots! I made a cute story map for Lilly's purse--it's free so come on over and grab it! I also am your latest follower, am giving away a laminator, and would just love to share ideas!

    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, thank you so much for finding me and following! I love your Chrysanthemum idea and I am totally going to use it with my kiddies. Pinning now!!! Have a great year!

    Tamara
    Life's A Beach in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. My school does something called "Strong Beginnings" for early assessment with the students. They take two days and each child gets scheduled a half hour appointment (with 3 students in the classroom at the same time). Then they do a (teacher chosen/created) math assessment, a writing piece, a learning styles quiz, and a reading benchmarks test (with the teacher). Much less stress, and a good chance to get some one-on-one time with your students and learn a bit about them. But to be fair, we also have to do a super stressful math assessment that they stress like crazy over the next week.

    Good Luck with the new year!

    Dawn
    Apples, Owls, and Peppermint Mochas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your month boards are adorable, I need to do something cute like that to spice up my calendar. It's so boring, haha. Thanks for checking out my fishing poles :)

    Best,
    The Curious Catfish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those tests sound horrible! The first formal assessment we have to give our first graders is a computer program called Imagination Station. We use the assessment portion to get baseline data and then monthly updates. We use the regular program for intervention and reinforcement as well. Then at some point during the first few weeks we will administer a Rigby or Fountas and Pinnell reading benchmark to determine reading levels. Math is much less formal.
    I LOVE your calendar headers!
    Carol
    Still Teaching After All These Years

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yuck for those tests and ADORABLE for those calendar toppers!!! Looooooove them!

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your blog on pintrest for the Chrysanthemum activity. So cute! I love your calendar headings. Did you have a template or is it just your own design? I am a new follower! Please check out my blog. I am just getting started and I am so inspired by people like you!
    http://secondgradebest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)