Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday Made It Backpacks & Must Have Monday



Ahhh Monday . . . you come along way too quickly! I was barely getting settled into the weekend & there you are. Ugh.

So, being Monday, it's time to link up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made it !!  Yay... Thank you Tara for making Monday a little easier to handle. 

So I have seen this idea around for making little mini backpacks out of paper bags & thought I could take that idea & use it for my SuperStar Student backpacks. I just used big grocery store bags instead of the little lunch bags.

UPDATE: Click HERE to grab the template at my TPT store. Right now, it's FREE! :)
I choose a SuperStar Student on Fridays & send home this backpack with a parent note asking that the child choose FIVE items that either mean something to them or represent them. They then bring this back to school the next week (hopefully Monday) and share with the class. They also get an "All About Me" poster that gets displayed in the hallway outside my classroom.   This is my first year trying this, but my first SuperStar was SOOO excited about her backpack (which they get to keep!) & her grandmother loved the idea, too.  We don't have a lot of time to focus on Students of the Week or anything, so this works perfectly for that. :)

I'm going to try and get the templates for the front & back uploaded to TPT for free so you can download.If you are interested, please leave me a comment & let me know. I"ll update ASAP with the link but I'll also email those of you that comment with a direct link. :)

Also . . .  .
I made this!
I saw this original idea on Pinterest.  You see that link here but it does not link me to the original source. If you know of where this came from, PLEASE let me know so I can give credit :)

Anyway, I needed something for positive reinforcement & this is awesome! During the day, when a child is "caught being good", they get to go to the chart and write their name on ANY square of their choice. At the end of the day, I pull a letter & a number (coordinate point) and the child whose name is in the square gets to go to the Treasure Box.  If that "chosen" square is empty, the drawing rolls over to the next day.  If a child is chosen, the board gets erased and we start over the next day :)

I love this because it sets a purpose for the Treasure Box instead of just randomly choosing who goes,or just letting a bunch of kids go on Friday.  I'm really excited about it !! :)

Finally...
I'm linking up with Blog Hoppin' for her Teacher Week Blog Hop/Linky.  Today is Must Have Monday,so you have to list your teacher must haves. Pretty easy, huh?!
1)  Caffeine...preferably Diet Coke.  When the alarm goes off at 5:30, caffeine is my only solace. . . and I'm only SLIGHTLY addicted to Diet Coke !
2) Laminator. I know I've posted about this before, but he's worth mentioning again.  Yes, he.  I keep seeing other people naming their laminators & seeing as I have spent more time with him than MB, family or friends, I agree he deserves a name. So, I'll make it official.  I love Tate. .Tate the LamiNATE-or :)
3)  Lists, Notepads& Post Its
I make a gazillion lists a day week & just couldn't live without cute pads & post-it's to help me out. The best are STICKY to-do lists. Ahh. . . a Type A OCD teacher's dream!
4)  Flair Pens
Who doesn't just LOVE these??  They are great for color coding my To Do Lists & my calendar . . . great for marking papers.. . and they honestly just make me happy!
5) Cute Teacher Bag
I'm in the market for a new one as I think I have officially worn mine OUT & have been using one of those reusable bags.  I'm in  LOVE with this one right now :)
You can find it on Etsy here.  So cute !!

So, that's it for me & my Monday !! I keep reading that everyone is going back to school so here's to a great first week & an even better year :)

Happily,

Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. One of my coworkers made that super board this week too, but called it bingo! Yours turned out great! And I looooove those pens. I use them sooo much throughout the year. They almost make me excited to grade papers... almost! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Flair Pens! I love those! Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm YOUR newest follower. :)

    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your backpacks are adorable! And it sounds like a great timesaver, while making your kids feel special.

    Dawn
    Apples, Owls, and Peppermint Mochas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about cute... your bookbags are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kelly! Nice to meet you. I'm following you now, too :)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ideas! Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the backpack idea!
    Im your newest follower.
    Latoya
    Flying Into First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love that chevron bag! And the backpack is adorable!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly I LOVE that backpack! It is soo cute! :-). Great idea! I can't wait til you upload it!

    Karyn
    Kideducator@comcast.net
    Aisforapplebisforblog.blogdpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your chevron bag, superstar backpack, and that you named your lamiNATE-or Tate :) So cute!

    The Curious Catfish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly,

    I am just starting STAR STUDENT of the WEEK this year, so I'm so super excited to use the backpack download. Thank you so much! I'm your newest follower. Love your blog.

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly,

    I am just starting STAR STUDENT of the WEEK this year, so I'm so super excited to use the backpack download. Thank you so much! I'm your newest follower. Love your blog.

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Thanks for linking to my bag :) I really appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your blog! Thanks for stoppin' by :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend
    to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.


    Also visit my web site ... graduate recruitment agency

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)