Friday, August 17, 2012

Missing Summer Linky

"Summer dreams....ripped at the seams..."
I can't seem to think of summer without hearing the music from Grease in my head. It could be because I have probably watched the movie 40 gazillion times, but it's more likely because I miss summer.  

Now, I am definitely not one of those teachers (and sadly, there are some . . . ) that went into this profession for the "summers off", and I hate when other people make comments thinking that's why we teach . . . But, I will admit to absolutely loving it.  Which brings me to this ~ I have linked up with Nancy at Joy of Kindergarten to reflect on the 5 Things I Miss About Summer. It's only  been three weeks, and I really miss my friend.  Her name is Summer.  She is the best.
1)  Late mornings and even later nights ~
    If you've ever read my blog, I'm sure you've picked up on how much I hate mornings.  The only thing that gets me up early without a fight are beach trips. I'll jump  out of bed at 4 a.m. to drive until the map turns blue.  But, work?? Nope, it's a fight . . . a fight with time...and a fight with myself.   Does anyone else lay in bed and rationalize how you can avoid getting up?  "I'll just wear pants instead of a skirt today so I don't have to shave my legs?  I'll eat a school lunch so I don't have to pack one?"  Yep, that's me.  And I loathe hairy legs, so that says a lot for how much I love my bed !   And I miss the late nights.   My parents and MB think that I don't even really wake up until midnight, which is when I am at my best !!


2)  Flip Flops & Yoga Pants
We are not allowed to wear flip flops to work.  I'll admit that we kinda try to get around it by wearing "fancy" flip flops & swearing they are sandals.  I keep some under my desk when it gets really bad, but wow, I miss my Yellow Box. They are the most comfortable thing in the world!  My feet are in the process of staging a coux.  It doesn't look good people.  I swear I can hear them saying, "You're a better teacher when we don't hurt!"  Too bad I'm the only one listening to their plea.

And yoga pants?  They just make me happy.  They make me fatter, yes, but they also make me very happy. 


3)  A Clean House
  My house looks awesome all summer . . . and, then school starts.  Uhh...yeah, not so awesome anymore. My kitchen (which is where I spend the majority of my time cutting, laminating at the table, etc...) looks like a BOMB went off.  Add to that the piles of mail and other stuff that I've laid in the "later" pile, and it's almost embarrassing.  Oh, and the bedroom??  I won't even go there.  My mother raised me to make the bed every morning.  Unfortunately, that didn't stick.  I wish I could make myself do that, but if you see above about my detest for mornings, you can imagine "bed making time" doesn't make it on the morning agenda. This pretty much sums it up for me:
4)  Lunch
Oh, come on - you remember lunch?  That meal where you get to sit down for more than 17 minutes and eat your food at a leisurely pace, often pausing to sip your drink? Ahh... the memories!  Oh, and then there's those real special days where you get to go OUT to lunch.  Yep, I miss lunch.  Now, it's a total for 30 minutes to get the kiddies into the lunchroom . . . through the line of choices (there are a million choices, I swear!). . .back to the table . . . then to eat my lunch in the remaining seconds before having to run back to the cafeteria and herd them back to the classroom. I really think teachers could qualify for speed eating contests!   And as for lunch out - aren't you envious of friends & family who talk about the restaurants they have tried or hanging out over lunch and catching up.  So jealous.


5)  Time
I miss time . . . having time.  Time to do the laundry.  Time to go run errands.  Time to watch really bad reality TV.  Time to  return phone calls.   Time to read all the blogs I want to read.   Time to nap.  Yeah, I miss time. 

 So that's about it for me !  Head over & link up - what are you already missing about summer??



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. OMG, I am so right there with you on the wake up rationalizations. It's a daily quest to see how many times I can hit the snooze button and still be on time. The kids had to eat their dinner in the living room all week because I took over the dining room table with my lamination assembly line, lol. Thanks for linking up, I hope you have an AMAZING school year!!

    :) Nancy
    Joy of Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just popped over for a visit - I sure do miss summer here too - we're in the middle of winter, so it would be totally awesome to have a summer day about now. LOL

    The Paper Maid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely miss my flip-flops too! I'm not sure how my feet will adjust to dress shoes again after comfy ones for so long! My house suffers during the school year as well-just don't have any energy left to clean after cleaning up after rugrats all day! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  4. (sigh) Right there with you!! This is my next to last day of summer!! :(

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)