Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Made It & a Blog Hop

 WOW!....Today was the first day of school, and I am just flat out exhausted. I now have 17 sweet little first graders, and we had such a great day. I'll be honest- I dread the first few days. While I am a huge stickler for routine & procedure, I just know the kiddies get bored with it over and over again. I know it's a necessary evil, and I'm a product of the Harry Wong generation of teachers, but I really look forward to getting into the swing of things and doing some real teaching!!

Teaching first grade is so much fun, but I always forget how little they are at the beginning of the year, and how dependent they are.  Plus, they are so used to having two teachers in Kindergarten & a much more relaxed environment.  Anyway, I survived...and so did they .YAY!

I've been fighting against a nap, so I decided to go ahead and link up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for another Made It Monday. 
So, first off...
I made it . . . on Monday . . . and on time!!  For anyone that knows me, this is quite a feat.  We were supposed to arrive NO later than 7 a.m. today and I got there at 6:30. Crazy for me. Our normal time is 7:40 and I come in on two wheels at 7:37 so I can sign in at the office... grab a Diet Coke (in lieu of most people's coffee) . . .  and position myself at the front door to greet the kiddies.  I am not a morning person AT ALL, and really think nothing should start before 9 or 10 in the morning. :)  My hand looks really weird in this picture, like I've got Man Hands, or I'm a wrestler or something, Sorry !!

But seriously, my "made its".. .
I got this idea off Pinterest and FINALLY tracked it down to Stephanie at 3rd Grade Thoughts.You can check out her original post at the link.  I just LOVED the idea & when I tried it out today with my new firsties, it worked like a charm!!

For those of you who haven't seen this. . . the child going to the restroom places this on his/her desk when they leave the room. This tells the teacher where he/she is. It also (best part!) serves as a reminder to use two squirts when they get back to sanitize their hands.  Because, let's be honest. . . no matter how many times I review our "Hush, Flush and Wash" rule, I'm not convinced they always fully wash their hands.  My kids thought it was cool, too. Bonus! :)

Then, for Open House (& the First Day for those no-shows)... my Parent Handbook Flipbook:


There's my Man Hand again.. ugh!  Anyway, focus !  I got this idea from a former colleague of mine at my first school. You basically take 5 pieces of colored paper like from this stack
and then you print your information in categories.  You have to run them front to back...and upside down.  Once you play around with it, it starts to make sense, but it does take some trial & error.  I suggest taking plain white scrap paper and making the flip book first. Then, type what you want & cut/paste it to the book so it's just like you like it. Lastly, take it to the copier & work your teacher magic ! :) The parents really like this and it's everything all in one place.
*Fonts by DJ Inkers
*UPDATE:
 I have had a lot of requests for a template for this handbook. Unfortunately, I don't have one because it requires printing, cutting, taping, and rerunning to make the book. But, click here  for the post on how to do it yourself!



We now return to your regular blog reading...

Lastly, for the home...
Again, I have to thank Pinterest for this one. I have seen so many cute creations made out of buttons that I had to make one myself.  It looks cuter in context but this is the best picture I could get.  I LOVE burlap, and so I thought I'd try gluing the buttons to it & trying it out. Staple burlap to wood or canvas. Hot glue buttons on.  Hang with ribbon.  And done! Turned out pretty cute, I think :)
And FINALLY, the Blog Hop . . . 

 
I updated my last post with this blog hop, but wanted to make sure it got out there.  It's for Classroom Picture Tours! I don't know about you, but I really love seeing everyone else's rooms and what they have come up with. If teachers are known for anything, it's for the stealing sharing of ideas. So, when I found this hop, I thought what a great idea.  My last post was my classroom tour, but I wanted all of you to take pictures of your rooms so I could sneak a peek! :)


Anyway, thanks for stopping by ! OH!!  I almost forgot !
I'm almost at 100 followers & need your help! If I was to do a gift card giveaway, where should it be to? (yes, I ended that with a preposition. Don't judge!).  

Have a happy Monday!! :)


Photobucket

40 comments:

  1. I'm happy you made it through the day. That will be me in a few weeks probably posting the same thing about how tired I am. I love the multicolored Parent handbook and your hands look fine:) it actually looks like you got yourself a nice manicure. I'm almost at 100 followers too and I was thinking about a TPT certificate, since there's a sale there next week, hope that helps.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your parent handbook! Such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing.

    Mrs.G's Kindergarten in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry forgot to add that a TpT certificate would be a great giveaway. I know I have tons of items on my wishlist and I am sure other teachers are just the same.

    Mrs.G's Kindergarten in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your flipbook idea. That looks great and how creative! Glad the first day went well!!
    Taylor
    BakingCraftingTeaching Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your parent handbook flipbook! I'll link up to the classroom blog hop as soon as I get a grade!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade
    Don’t forget to check out My Summer in Pictures Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love something from TPT or Target. You can't go wrong with those. I love your Monday Made It's!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on surviving your first day! I forget how little they are those first few weeks too...every year!

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly,
    Welcome Back To School!!! That 1st Day can be very tiring!! Love your parent flipbook. You are too crazy with the "man hands."
    Crystal
    Ms. Jones’ Junction

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the bathroom passes! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the parent handbook idea!! Now you've got me thinking I need to redo mine... :)

    Amy
    Krazy About Kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is so cute! I followed back, and thanks for the follow!

    Well, I didn't know if you'd actually get my reply so there's 2 things you can do.

    1. The person whose blog it belongs to can respond by e-mail (you can make it so it's accessible here)
    2. Do the subscribe by e-mail link close to the end of the comment box and you'll get e-mails about everyone who comments on that post as well as replies.

    No direct replies that I can tell though :(

    Yay for the almost 100 followers! That flipbook is genius :D

    Anisa @ Creative Undertakings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. I am now one of your newest followers too! I hope you have a fabulous rest of the first week of school! I don't start until the 27th, and I'm currently in the Back to School fReNzy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the follow...I of course, returned the favor!
    I love your parent info flip books. I am a huge fan of those with the kids (short of the time it takes me to put them together,) but I never thought of it for parents!

    Carrie :)
    The First Grade Derby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw you stopped by my blog so I thought I would check yours out. I'm now your newest follower and getting closer to 100! I would like to join the blog hop but I need to get some newer photos of my room. Lol.

    Good luck on your second day!

    -Jeremy
    Mr. Michelbook's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, Love, Love the hand sanitizer idea...thanks so much for sharing:) You made me laugh out loud twice with the comments about your hands! I am super happy to be your newest follower (actually surprised I'm not already because I have been to this blog before...I guess I just thought I had joined but must have never really clicked on the button!). I think a gift card to a teacher supply store would be AWESOME. Alright, so I make #94...only 7 more to go! yay:)

    ~Rachel
    Teaching with Z

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the stepbook for parents! I make these all the time with my students, but never thought about making my handbook into a foldable! Thanks for visiting my new blog and becoming a follower-I am your newest follower! I think a TPT gift certificate is always appreciated or a copy of your handbook!:)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there!

    I'm so glad you found my blog! :) I taught 1st Grade with RS and I remember it being a nightmare--especially with the Spelling! yikes! I'd be happy to help you with ideas if you're interested, or just keep up with my blog and maybe I'll have something you can use, too.

    I cannot tell you how much I love those flap books that you made for the parents! What a CUTE idea! I think you need to do a post solely on that. ;) Sounds like you've got a lot of interest!

    I think a TPT or Amazon gift card would be great. I had thought about that for when I reach 100.

    I'm a new follower of yours! Can't wait to read more of your ideas! :)

    Amanda
    Sweeties In Second

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the bathroom passes, flip book and ESPECIALLY the cute canvas with the button K.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am obsessed with your flip book! What an amazing idea! Is there anyway you could post it or email it to me??

    Thanks!!
    Molly
    mebohm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am with Miss Molly above. Are you thinking of sharing or posting your parent flip book? I would LOVE to have a copy. We start school on the 4th of Sept. and need something like that.

    I love your classroom!!!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kelly,
    I love your parent foldable. My 1st grade team and I are having our parent orientation meeting on the 4th and I was wondering if you would share the template for foldable. My principal really liked it as well.
    Can you please email me at jengajardo2003@gmail.com

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the Open House Flip book, is there any chance you could send an example of the template with the kind of information you used, I have Curriculum Night approaching and I think this would be an awesome resource to help "weed out" some questions from parents?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sorry, my email address is latasharobinson82@gmail.com, thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your parent handbook I woud love a template of it. My email address is missnick2@yahoo.com

    Thanks!!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great blog!! I'm now a follower! Would you consider sending me your filp book template? I already had open house but I think this could be amazing to give out at conferences on how to help children with specific skills!! My email is feinberg.melissa@gmail.com. THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adding you to my blogroll! I love the parent flipbook idea and from scrolling through your blog, it looks like there are a lot more, even for someone in 3rd instead of 1st :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you have a template for the parent flipbook? I'd really love to use it at the beginning of next year.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the parent handbook that's a great idea with the flipbook, maybe you could get magnets and make it something that could stay on the fridge so parents could keep up with them throughout the year. Also I was wondering if you were willing to share the template for the flipbook if so my e-mail is cobb_fitch@hotmail.com, thanks for all your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just found you through PINTEREST!! I love the flip book!! Would you be willing to share the template? If so-- my email is denisetrainor@aol.com. THANKS so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would love the template too- amberbarbee@gmail.com
    thanks for putting your heart into education!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your parent handbook I woud love a template of it. My email address is kaylagrant9@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your parent handbook. So creative and cute! I would love a template of it... Would you be willing to share? My email is michelle_4129@yahoo.com.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just love the parent packet handbook. Is there a way I could get a copy? I'll even purchase it:) my email is mlwdvital@yahoo.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I realize this is an older post, but I just found it via Pinterest and I wanted to say thanks so much for sharing! I am already working on one for my parents for next year! Thanks again :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great Ideas! I'm a new teacher and I really appreciate you sharing your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I found this website to help make the flip chart:

    http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/flipbook/

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would LOVE the template toooo! How can I get it? Here is my email... even a better way to share it! tracy.horn@fhsdschools.org

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)