Sunday, August 26, 2012

Football Time in the South & a Freebie

I have been a bad blogger, and can't believe it's been almost a week since I've posted.  I always forget how exhausting the first few weeks of school can be and then WHAM! it hits me square in the face every August. Three weeks in and sometimes it feels like a thousand years . . .

This year has been even tougher. One of my favorite people & fellow first grade teacher was transferred to another school just two weeks after school started.  She spent all summer getting her room ready and last Friday, she was told our numbers were too low and she had to move to another school and be ready to teach . . . wait for it . . . on Tuesday.  In 2nd grade.  At another school.  That gave her one full day to pack up, move a gazillion loads, set up a room, learn the new standards & be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for her new bunch of kiddies.  Wow.  I can't tell you how much it hurt me to see her go through it, or how much I wish I could change it.  She's doing ok, but like she said, she feels like she's just barely above water. I'm sure she'll be great, but it's been a rough week losing her.

So. .. because of that, we had to split her kids & we each got some newbies.  Which means going BACK over all the routines & procedures we had pretty much mastered and all that good stuff. Needless to say, I'm pooped ! But, I ended up with some really sweet kids and am happy they are now part of my little first grade family :)  I really hope that I don't sound like a big ole complainer, because I truly LOVE my job, but sometimes I get overwhelmed...don't we all?!
I just love little cartoons. They make me happy!

Anyway, on to the GOOD STUFF !  It's almost Football Time in the South (and everywhere I assume), but I am just so excited about it, I could pop. Seriously..  I look forward to this every year, and have even had a countdown going.  I . Love . It !  I grew up watching every SEC game with my dad & have always been a huge football fan.  My family are all Tennessee fans, even though I have lived in either Alabama or Georgia since I was 6.  Not easy being a Tennessee fan in those two states, but I've survived, and learned to take a lot of ribbing for it.  So, in honor of my Vols and the upcoming season (which I pray is even a little bit better than last year), I made this for my door !
It's not perfect, but not too bad for my first try. I have learned some new tips today (which would have been super helpful yesterday, but I digress...) and can't wait to make some more for my Alabama & Georgia fan friends. See?  I'm a good sport  !! :)

Anyway, all my kiddos are already talking about football as it is a HUGE deal around here.  This week, my school is already celebrating the "Wear your Team Colors" day on Friday, and even at 6, my little ones know & love their teams.

I decided to make a short vowel game for our pocket chart & centers to go with our love of football.  We are also reading a couple books about sportsmanship which is a character word we study.  Thought I would share the sort with you!

You can go to my TPT store HERE & download it for free.  It has 2 pages of each vowel and a sheet for headings a, e, i, o, and u.  Hope you like it !!

Also, Miss Nelson over at Run! Miss Nelson's Got the Camera is having this awesome giveaway for a gameday scarf.
They are so cute!!  Hop over there & enter to win :) 

I'm linking up again with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It, too!  I love this every week :)
.
So, that's it for me. For those who have asked about my Teacher Handbook, I am working on trying to come up with a way to send you a template.  Right now, it's all DJ Inkers & in a format I can't send out.  Plus, it's all very school specific. I PROMISE I am working on it & will get with all of you via email ASAP so you can use it if you want :)

As always, thanks for stopping by !

Happily,
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. LOVE the door hanger, LOVE LOVE the football-themed short-vowel game, LOVE LOVE LOVE the blog! Where did you get the idea for the door hanger? I'm in Alabama (Roll Tide for me, War Eagle for the hubby...)and would really like that for my door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank y'all so much !! Jessica, I have seen them at craft shows & art fairs around Alabama & GA and thought, " I can make that!". My parents still live in AL, and all the neighbors are UA or AU so I am working on making them for them, too. If you'll send me your email address, I can email you the details of how to make one or get one :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your door hanger is cute! I'd like to invite you to my new linky called "Fun Friday." It is all about the fun things we do in our classrooms. I'd love for you to visit and link up!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your football themed short vowels! We are definitely gearing up for football around my house as well... :-)

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just have to say GO VOLS!!!! Especially after last night's game and at least you don't live to close to LSU!!!! I live in Tennessee and we got smacked with 19+ firsties this year. We had to lose a teacher as well. Have a great year. Love the short vowels game.

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)