Friday, August 3, 2012

Classroom Pictures & August Currently (Warning! Super long post ! :) )



WOW!  What a crazy week.  I went back to work on Tuesday, and sat through hours of meetings until I finally got to get into my classroom.  Yay!!  Open House was last night, and school starts Monday.  It's amazing how every year, I forget just how exhausting it is to set up for the beginning of school.  Of course, this level of tiredness will be overshadowed by just how much MORE tired I will be next week. Is it just me, or do you all just come home WORN OUT the first week of school??!

Anyway, Open House went great.So far,I have 18 little firsties ready to learn, and I got to meet all but 2 of them. They were so sweet . . . wide eyed, shy, full of hugs, and absolutely precious.  I also got to see most of my old students when they stopped by to tell me about their summers and how excited they are about 2nd grade. Every year, I'm wistful at Open House because I miss my Last Year kids so much, but then I have to remind myself, I felt the same way the year before & will love the new kids just as much :)


So, in preparing for Open House, I took a bunch of pictures of my classroom. I've had several people ask about it, so I'm thinking, it probably looks as nice as it's going to, so here goes.  Pardon the long post - I went a little camera crazy! :)
UPDATE (8/21)- I've linked up with another blog for a Classroom Photo Party.  Head over there & link up, too !! 
 
 UPDATE -I've joined up with Brigid at Brigid's Daily Lesson Log for a classroom picture blog hop. The linky is at the bottom.  Join up !! 
Now to my classroom pictures . . . .



 When you enter my room, this is what you see ! I tried the Poms for identifying the tables, but they don't look as good as I wanted them to. In the past, I've hung lanterns, but thought this would be cute for something new.
Supply Cubbies


The desks. As you can see, I'm awesome at editing photos, but I tried to erase out the names on the name tags to respect privacy. I'm learning here, folks:)


 My Guided Reading/Math tables.  I love the idea of marking each spot with a color or shape so the kids will know where to sit every day. That's on my To Do List (TDL).
Behind my table.  The cube unit is my newest addition.  I'm super excited about it :)  I just love the wires hanging down from the TV/VCR. I need to do something with that.
Behind my table to the other side. These bins hold the leveled books we use during Guided Reading, plus some teaching supplies.  If you haven't noticed, there are frogs everywhere. I keep all the ones the kids get me, and they are just sitting everywhere.

My Reading & Book Center.  My dad made the bookshelves for me a few years ago. I found them in a classroom supply catalog & they were over $300 each !! Umm..negative..can't afford that. So, Handy Dad hooked me up !
My desk...nestled behind the book center. From it, I can see the whole room. A lot of my colleagues have gotten rid of their desk, but I still like having one.
Behind my desk.  I really do have way too much stuff ! I want to cover or paint my file cabinet, but that's another project on the To Do List . . .  which just keeps getting longer !


Back wall ~ Centers board, Calendar & Writing Center  ~ pretty explanatory :)


Side wall.  This was (is) my favorite thing about my school - the built in cubbies.  Every child gets their own & it has plenty of room for bookbags, jackets, lunchbox, etc..  

The tubs on top house my materials for each month of the year.  

To the left is my behavior chart.  You can see the plate rules I made this summer :)
The fabric bins are for all the stuff I used to have no where to put ! Love my new labels.  I will have to update later to add the link for where I found them, but they fit my theme perfectly so I was like, "yes, please!"
Froggies & Rules. I will post more about this later, but basically the kids have to move "freckles" for poor behavior choices.  

View from back of room. The snake hanging from the top was a gift but my kids love him. They think he watches them work !
Student mailboxes & the striped table is from my first year teaching. My dad and I made this together & I just love it. It doesn't really "go" with everything, but I'll keep it forever ! 



Front Standards Board  & my crate seats I made ! :) Pretty obvious I need to make 2 more !
 These are just dollar store frames with scrapbook paper. They match the Poms/table colors. Whenever a table is making a good choice, they earn a tally mark (using a dry erase marker). At the end of the week, the table with the most gets a little prize..
 Lunch choices. The students have Frog Sticks & they put theirs in the cup that represents their choice. 
 Behind my door...Helper Chart & centers.
Recess "Catch Up".  Students have to sign the clipboard & put their unfinished work in the bin. They then have to attend Study Hall ( a school-wide procedure) during Recess to work on it.

My clocks above the white board.  I got this idea from Pinterest. You can see the original link here.

So that's it. You've made the full circle of my room. The stuff on the top of the desks was for Open House ~ popcorn tubs with a bag of popcorn.  Looks a little cluttery, sorry!  The front of the room is just a white board. We're supposed to be getting Promethean Boards by the end of September (WOO HOO!!!!! )

Hope you enjoyed the tour!!

Lastly, I'm linking up with Farley at Oh' Boy 4th Grade for the Currently Link. I've been seeing this & super excited to link up !


As always, THANKS for stopping by & for being patient with my super long post !! Have a wonderful weekend ! :)

Here's Brigid's Blog Hop:
 

Happily,

Photobucket

31 comments:

  1. OMGosh your room looks amazing!!! So jealous how together it is!! Also, if my hair dryer did that, I may have screamed a little bit! haha
    Taylor
    BakingCraftingTeaching Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Showing some love from Farley's Currently blog link up. Having a blow dryer blow up near my head would have scared the bajeebies out of me!! I am glad you are ok!

    I LOVE all of the froggies in your classroom! I loved looking through all of the pictures! I hope you have a wonderful year!

    I am your newest follower!!

    Cindy

    All Things Teachery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your classroom looks awesome! I hope you have a great year!

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your classroom looks great! Have a great first day!
    Carol
    Still Teaching After All These Years

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your classroom is adorable! Thanks for visiting me at my blog, and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your frog crossing sign! Your room looks fantastic. Thanks for stopping by my blog:)I am your newest follower.

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your classroom is adorable!! I love the frog sitting there with the sunglasses & the canopy. Can I hire you to come & decorate my classroom?? :) Your students will love it!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow~!! I LOVE your classroom. I'd love to go to work each day with a set up like that. :o)

    The Paper Maid

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly - I found you over at the linky party, so glad I did...your room looks AWESOME!!!!!! I definitely have to come back and take a closer look at the pics for great ideas once I go back to school.

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopped over from the Linky Party! *LOVE* all the pics! I teach firsties too, but am just beginning to set up my classroom. Stop by and check it out sometime!

    ~Tanya
    Mrs. Dwyer’s A+ Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly,
    Of course I spot your wonderful Stool in the pictures! Your room is amazing and we have the same colors! Yep, I would say we are "soul-sista's"! Thanks for stopping by my L-O-N-G post too. And yes, you are right, "great minds do think alike"

    Have a wonderful school year.

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly,
    WOW!! Your room looks great and enjoyed looking at your pictures!! I see all of your creations! I am glad your open house went well. I hope you have a wonderful school year!!
    Crystal
    Ms. Jones’ Junction

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a new follower!! Just found your blog YAY!!!! I hope you'll check out my blog sometime:)

    Tammy
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't get over the fact that you have 18 kids. I have 31 on my list. I am dying.
    I absolutely LOVE that striped table. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Is it painted??????
    I have a back up hair dryer because I overuse them all the time. :)
    Thanks for reading my blog!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am your newest follower and LOVE your room!! Your reading corner is so cozy:)
    I can't wait for my "personal" laminator to arrive. I hope it lives up to what everyone is saying!
    Look on the bright side...at least your blowdryer didn't die on a school morning. I have that fear (my hair is super thick and takes forever to hair dry) and keep a backup dryer just in case! That doesn't cover losing power though! yikes...I need to stop being such a worrier!
    ~Holly
    http://fourthgradeflipper.blogspot.com/2012/08/august-currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't dads the best? Mine does all of my "tool belt work" too! Thank God!

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! Your library is so adorable. I love how it's like a little getaway. my dad also made my shelves. What would we ever do without our dads? I have my crates sitting in my garage right now waiting to be made, but I like the idea of just putting them upside down in your room for now.

    Jennifer
    Darling Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks amazing! I love it! You should be proud of all your hard work! am your newest follower! I found you on the August Currently! Come and check out my Currently and I am having an awesome 300 Follower Giveaway!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Kelly!
    Your room looks great! How did you hang the leaf? I saw it at Ikea the other day but couldn't figure out how I would hang it (since I have cinder block walls).

    Thanks!!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super jealous of your cubbies. I love the colors in your room. Thanks for joining my site. I am now following you. :)
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the green and black theme. Your room is too cute! I really like how you posted the word LUNCH it looks great!
    ஐRikki

    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your room is so cute! I love the little green chairs. I need to get my dad to make me a few bookcases. I'm also a little jealous of the cubbies.

    -Jeremy
    Mr. Michelbook's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there! Your room looks great! You have so many cute ideas...I like your labels too! Thanks for linking up on my "Classroom Tours" linky party!!!

    Brigid
    Brigid's Daily Lesson Log

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely LOVE your room! It's right up my ally! I NEED those little green chairs! Also I have been looking that polka dot border on your white board and can't seem to locate it, so I settled for some other. Looks like you are ready to go - I am ready to get mine in order!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your frog theme. The picture frame tally marks idea for groups is great! Thanks for sharing the classroom picts. I found your blog through the linky. I am a new follower.

    ilive2learnilove2grow

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your room is AMAZING. I can't even list all the parts of it that I love, there are so many! The colors are awesome, too! I'm doing similar, just replace the pink with teal! :D

    LOVE IT!

    Gayla
    Teach On.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your classroom is too cute! I love your library and the frog with the sunglasses. Thanks for linking up!

    Swimming into Second

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your class looks AMAZING! And I love the policy of kids missing recess if their work isn't finished.

    Kristi
    Learning's a Hoot

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks so great! Love your theme! Come and check my classroom reveal out too!
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  30. On the table that you and your dad made--just use colored tape to make some of the stripes match your room decor. Then you can change it from year to year.

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)