Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday Made It & Newbie Blogger Blog Hop

Hi there !! I can't believe I will have kids in my classroom exactly two weeks from today. Crazy !!  On top of just getting back from vacation, I feel like I'm running against the clock trying to get it all done. Anyway, it's Monday & I'm linking up again with 4th Grade Frolics for a Monday Made It !
Okay, Okay, so I didn't make it today. But, I made these the week before I left for the beach and wanted to share.  These are my fancy new chair covers for my classroom!  (Remember, I can't get in my school so be kind with the quality and the improvisation of objects for the pictures..haha!)
They look much cuter in the classroom, but I digress...

These are sewn together, and believe me when I say I am  NOT a good sewer (is that a word?), so if you can sew a straight line, you can do this.  And, if you can't can use that iron-in sticky adhesive stuff. I know that's not the actual name, but I can find it if you need it.

Anyway, I bought 7 yards of duck canvas. It holds up better. This will make approximately 25 covers.

You lay it out, and measure 16" wide and 30" long for each cover. Like this:

Then, you fold one side (the flap that will be INSIDE and go OVER the chair) up 9 inches. Then, fold it down 1 inch to make a hem.  This will create one "pocket" that slides over the chair.
That's my mom being helpful :)

Then, you turn it over to the other side (the side you have NOT folded up yet), and fold up 8 inches, and fold down a 1 inch hem...essentially doing the same thing.


You can choose to just sew these up if you want to, but you'll have a raw edge. That's why I put ribbon around mine.

So, you take 7/8" ribbon of choice...line up the sides as even as possible...and pin the ribbon around it.

Then, you sew....a straight line.  Just sew from one end the other on both sides, and you're done ! :)

Now, my mom has an embroidery/monogram machine (again, not the right word, but I'm going with it), so she put my cute little frogs on there.  I wish I could help you with this part, but I'm officially out of my area here. :)

Anyway, finished product:

The pictures are awful, but they work perfectly in the classroom. I have made these before, and they lasted me about 6 years before I needed to make new ones.  They didn't really have to be replaced, but I wanted new fresh ones :)  This is great for classrooms with or without desks...for kids to keep journals and folders. They hold up great, and can be washed every summer. Just hang them up to dry so they don't shrink.  Voila!

My Monday-Made-It for Home
Yay!  Hydrangeas are my favorite so I was super excited.  Just a tip - Garden Ridge (if you have one) is MUCH cheaper than Hobby Lobby, even with the coupon.  The letter is from HL, though :)

Lastly, the Newbie Blogger Blog Hop... 
As a new blogger, I'm trying all kinds of linkys, so I wanted to join in on the Newbie Blogger Fun.
I linked up with Janis from Grade Three is the Place For Me to introduce myself.  

Here is what people are sharing:  
    1.  what state you are in
    2.  your current teaching position

    3.  your teaching experience
    4.  when you started blogging
I live in Georgia where I teach first grade, and have been doing that for 11 years.  I taught one year in Kindergarten and am so thankful there are those of you out there that love it.  You are wonderful people!  While I miss having a para-pro, I love my firsties the best :)  I just started blogging at the beginning of this month, and am still trying to get the hang of it.  It's super fun, and I'm loving all of the great people I'm "meeting".  Thanks for stopping by my blog.  Happy Monday !!




  1. Your chair pockets came out fantastic!! I wish I could have the talent of sewing! :)
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

  2. I wish I could sew...I'm pretty good with the liquid stitch though, haha. I found you on the blog hop and I'm nominating you for a Liebster Award. Check out my blog to see the details.

    You Might Be a First Grader

  3. I LOVE your wreath. It is super cute and I like how you let the actual wreath show through and didn't cover the whole thing! I may have to do something like that.

    Your newest follower,


  4. I like your made its! I love hydrangeas! :)

  5. I made some similar chair covers but did not sew anything (I used my handy dandy glue gun). I love the way you added a pocket! I wish I had thought of that! Then again I only made three and not a class set....maybe I will work on a class set for later in the year...
    Love your hydrangeas, too!
    Drop by my blog whenever you get a chance. :)

    - Vicky

  6. Those chair covers are adorable! I cannot sew. No, not even a straight line! You have me thinking now though on how I could cover my hideous chairs. Thanks for the inspiration!


  7. Those chair covers are adorable. I love them. I too go back to school the same time you do. Teachers go back next week and I'm running out of time to do all of my projects!!! Also, that wreath is gorgeous. I've been wanting to make one for my door for ages! Maybe I will get to it when my teacher projects are finished.

    Darling Little Learners

  8. Two things...1)I absolutely LUV the title of your previous post "A Major Award." That is my favorite Christmas movie ever! 2)The name of your blog completely grabbed me. My daughters love fairytales and I do too. Your blog lives up to the title. I've nominated you for another "Major Award". Please stop by my blog First Grade and Fearless to pick up the Liebster Award for up and coming bloggers!

  9. Your chair covers are super cute! I wish I could sew but I can't. I'm a new follower!

    I'd love for you to buzz by sometime=)
    The Busy Busy Hive

  10. Your chair covers are so cute. I'm making some myself this summer. I think the addition of the little frog is wonderful. Your directions are very clear and helpful. I love your blog design. The colors are beautiful. I awarded you a blog award. Come on by to pick it up.

  11. Holy cannoli those are adorable! I'm so jealous. I don't even have a sewing machine, but if I did, I wouldn't know how to turn it on. :) Also, I just cracked up when I saw your picture in your "major award" post. BAHAHA. We love that movie at our house. :D Love it.

    Following you!

    -Mrs. C.
    Teach On.

  12. Kelly - you are so talented! You make it look so easy, but I cannot sew, wish I could. It looks really nice. You have a sweet blog and I am so happy that you love first grade, it is the greatest. I am your newest follower:)

  13. Love your chair pockets. They look awesome! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower.


    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

  14. Hello Kelly! Thanks for visiting my blog. You asked about giving away freebies on your site and the only way I know how to do it so far is by making it free in your TpT store. I really want to learn how to do it as a doc that can be clicked on and then downloaded but I'm still learning, too. Great site.



I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)