Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Made it & a Linky

 Happy Monday. . .Made-it Monday, that is, or that's what MB calls it & it has stuck around here. On Saturday, his first words to me were, "So, what are you doing for Monday Made It?"  I really look forward to this every week, and am thankful to Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for starting this! :) I really hope it continues because it gives me the motivation to do something every week.
 So, I go back to work tomorrow ~ which means, I have to actually be a grown up, wake up at a decent hour, and go to work.  I'm super excited to get back in my classroom, see all my friends & colleagues, and get back into the routine, but I am not a morning person . . . at all ! Never have been, truthfully. I remember when I was in college, people used to tell me, "Oh, that will change when you start working full time".  12 years later, and I'm still a night owl with a disdain for mornings.  Sorry, I got sidetracked ~ now on to what I made :)

 My new teacher stool !!! :)

I don't have "before" pictures, but I'm sure you are all aware of what this looked like before I painted it ~ plain, wooden stool. It's been sitting in my room for years, and I finally did something with it! MB spray painted it, then I took to the duck tape. :)  I free-handed the white circle and the monogram on the top so it's a wee bit off-center, but after all the mod podge I used, I figured I liked it as is. Gives it more character, right? Yeah, that's what I thought,too.   I L.O.V.E. it !  It may be a little sad that this makes me as happy as it does, but hey, what can I say?!

Anyway, this prompted project #2 ~ re-upholstered teacher chair:
Again I have no befores . . . but it was that blue "standard-issue" teacher chair.  Again, black spray paint + some scrap upholstery fabric (wears better than the cotton) + a fancy, schmancy glue gun, & Voila !  Yay.

And lastly, I found this trash can at the Dollar Tree & had to do something with it to match. So, since my room is black, white, pink & green. . . . with LOTS of polka dots, I did this!

Thank you, handy dandy glue fun (and MB for being the creepy shadow holding the basket in the air!).  Oh, and just an FYI - I had to go buy black spray paint for my projects. First stop was Michaels (because Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday .. . .and that's always when I want to go! haha). Their stuff was like $8 !!  We then went to Lowe's, and they have their own brand of stuff right now for 99 CENTS a can!!  Yes, please :)

I just love projects & can't wait to link up and see what all you have made this week !! 

And now...the LINKY !
 Amanda at Teaching Maddeness  has this new linky celebrating New (School) Year Resolutions . . . you know, the things you tell yourself you are DEFINITELY going to do this year.  I thought, "What a great idea!" and decided to link up!

Here are mine:

1)  Go to bed at a decent hour, and wake up Ready to Teach!!  I absolutely love my job, but I absolutely loathe mornings.  After growing up in the Central Time Zone, I now live in Eastern . . . which means my TV shows (yes, mine...all mine! haha) don't go off until 11.  Then, it's time to make lunch, get clothes together for the next day, and wind down.  I'm never in bed until about 12:00 and the alarm clock SCREECHES goes off at 5:30.  So, this year, I will rely more heavilly on my DVR, and just go to bed !

2 )  Learn more about Whole Brain Teaching. I have seen some posts about this, and some amazing videos of how this works in the classroom.  I am in love with what I am seeing so far, and can't wait to learn more.  Here's the website. Very cool.  Oh, and a good video if you want to watch that, too.

3)  Do an independent (maybe Grade Level Team?) book study on the Daily 5! It's everywhere I look & I really want to learn more ! :)

4)  Lastly, get more organized at home. I'm super organized at school, and then I come home and am like "Ehhh... I'll do that later!".

So, link up & tell us what YOUR resolutions are :)

Thanks for stopping by.  I love your comments, and try to write back to each and every one, so I'd love to hear from you.  I don't know when all of you go back to school, but here's to wishing you the best school year yet !  Cheers :)




  1. I love your stool SO MUCH! It is just beautiful! And I love that Whole Brain Teaching video that you posted, I feel like I have watched it 100 times, haha!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

  2. Wow! That stool is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
    I am a new follower and would love to have you visit my blog and to link up on my "Blogs of Inspiration" page.
    Happy Teaching,

    TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

  3. You have a great eye for detail!!!

  4. Eeek!! I LOVE your teacher stool. It came out amazing!! :) I am also crazy about your polka dot chair. Great creations!! :)
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

  5. I LOVE your stool!! It looks so classy! I can't believe how great the duck tape looks, too! I'm kind of scared of mornings this year. i've always been great at getting to work early and have 20+ minutes left before students. This year, my use to arrival time is when I'm suppose to be there, with students following 5 minutes later. I too will need to go to bed even earlier! Check out my blog for more details on that craziness!

  6. Kelly,
    Your projects turned out so nicely, love the stool, waste basket and chair. Can't wait to see your room!!
    Ms. Jones’ Junction

  7. Kelly,
    So glad you linked up to the Resolutions led me to your cute blog and I'm your newest follower! I definitely share #1, 2, and 4 with you!! Your Monday Made-Its are stinkin' adorable!!

    Teaching Maddeness

  8. Kelly,

    OH my goodness... waking up early is not my thing either but I love the feeling of being prepared after FORCING myself to wake up early!! I think I will have to link up tomorrow! :)

  9. Your stool is adorable! Now I'm thinking that I NEED one! Thanks for the info about the linky. Maybe blogging about my resolutions will keep me on track.
    Still Teaching After All These Years

  10. Wow, that stool is adorable! I have this yard sale chair and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I have big hopes. It's good to know where I can get some cheap spray paint, so thanks!

    Awesome resolutions, too. I think they'll look similar to yours.. I need to not stay up so late!

  11. Your stool is just adorable. How did you do the top? Is it scrapbook paper put on with Modge Podge? I am your newest follower. I would love for you to pop in for a visit at

  12. Thank you ! The animal print is duck tape on a circle & then cut out around the edges. The rest is scrapbook paper that I mod-podged. I made the monogram on Microsoft Word. :) Thanks for stopping by & being a follower. I'm headed your way now!

  13. Kelly,
    Thank you for leaving me a sweet comment on my blog but I have to tell you, I am so jealous of your stool. I was really liking mine until I saw yours. Does this mean I have to redo mine now? LOL I L-O-V-E yours! Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve.


  14. Love your stool and chair!! Both of mine need a make-over!! I am your newest follower!

    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

  15. I love, love, love your stool!! I just did something similar to my bookcases from Big Lots, but didn't think about my stool yet. I'm going to have to borrow your idea! And invest in stock in spray paint because I've been using a lot of it.

    I'm your newest follower!

  16. Your stool is so cute! I have one waiting to be decorated but I haven't gotten started on it yet. Thanks for inspiring me :)

  17. I adore all of these "made its!" I just recently redid a desk in my room and hand painted some zebra on mine!


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)